Tuesday, September 14, 2004

A matter of policy

Some of the satirical comments on this blog may be misinterpreted (if they are interpreted at all), so let me spell out my stand (atleast personally, but I think the rest of the gang agrees):

* The comments are not personally directed. They are rants against editorial policy that have no equivalent outlet. No one will print long letters to the editors with this content. I can no longer count the number of TOI papersellers whom we have bored the pants off with these points.

* I know nothing is going to really change - the media's marketing men relentlessly tell us that because of such content, their products sell more and they can thus afford to alienate those readers who may be offended/annoyed/indifferent to such content. I haven't met a member of the so-called large group of people who enjoy the content yet, but I'm willing to concede such a person exists.

* Why I still buy the paper? The supplement comes along with the main paper and the alternatives to the main paper aren't better. I don't like paying (whatever I do) to see skin in brown colour instead of monochrome, but like light year long ads in a film pay channel, I have no choice.

* The pune pages in the main paper of late have been quite good, especially with the coverage of the upcoming elections. But shouldn't these be on the pages entitled "Pune Times"?

* Are the pages actually a representation of "aspirational value"? Aspirational value as in having a glass in your hand and an arm around someone?

1 Comments:

Blogger Nikhil said...

Isn't this what activism is all about?

2:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home